At about 9:20 PM, Scriba VFD was activated for mutual aid to Volney for a structure fire. As 2741 was responding to the call, a second call was received for a male subject that fainted. A second crew prepared to respond to that call.
A short time later Oswego County 911 advised the medical call was now a chimney fire with subjects unable to get the unconscious subject out of the residence.
2741 diverted to the chimney fire / medical call, a full structure fire box assignment to include Oswego City due to possible entrapment was requested. Dispatch later advised the call was now a structure fire and subjects were still in the residence.
2741 arrived on scene with a four person crew. Firefighters located a male subject in the residence with no pulse and a light smoke condition in the residence with bystanders. Bystanders were removed from the residence and CPR was initiated on the male subject. The crew performing CPR advised there was a working basement fire in the ambulance.
Menter Ambulance arrived and took over patient care. Scriba and Oswego Fire personnel entered the basement and discovered the smoke was due to a wood stove malfunction. There was no fire spread beyond the interior of the wood stove.
Crews removed smoke from the residence and ensured their were no further hazards. Menter Ambulance transported the male patient to Oswego Hospital.
Novelis & County Fire Coordinators Office assisted at the scene. New Haven and Oswego Town provided standby coverage.
Unfortunately despite the efforts of fire, ems, and hospital staff; we learned this morning the male subject passed away. Our thoughts and condolences to his family