Sunday, February 21st, 2021
At about 11:00 am a caller requested the fire department respond to Red's Scriba Market for a possible CO leak. On arrival 2702 discovered building occupants complaining of not feeling well. The b...
Saturday, February 20th, 2021
On 2/20/21 the department was activated for an odd smell at Red's Scriba Market. On arrival crews noticed a faint smell, thought to possibly be refrigerant. . Oswego County Haz-Mat team was reques...
Friday, February 12th, 2021
At about 9:20 PM, Scriba VFD was activated for mutual aid to Volney for a structure fire. As 2741 was responding to the call, a second call was received for a male subject that fainted. A second crew ...
Wednesday, January 20th, 2021
At 6:07 PM this evening, Scriba was activated automatic mutual aid to Volney for a reported structure fire in an outside boiler spreading to the house. 2741 led by Capt. Merron responded with a full c...
Friday, January 22nd, 2021
Did you know Oswego County has a law called the "Oswego County E-911 Structure Enumeration Law"?This law allows us to assist you better in an emergency.Paragraph 4 titled "Display of Nu...
Sunday, December 6th, 2020
SANTA FIRE TRUCK RIDE UPDATE The Chief's Office has been maintaining contact with Santa Claus in reference to him doing his annual ride through the town on a fire truck. Unfortunately, afte...
Sunday, April 26th, 2020
Due to the recent pandemic the Chicken BBQ previously planned for this past month was cancelled. Thank you to everyone for your continued support and we look forward to seeing you all at the next BBQ.
Saturday, February 22nd, 2020
picture
Scriba VFD held our yearly installation banquet at the Oswego Elks Lodge. As always we recognized several members for their dedication and service to the department and our community.Jackie Simoneau w...
Consumer Product Safety Commission recalls

The metal band at the base can contain sharp edges, posing a laceration hazard.

The recalled chests are unstable if they are not anchored to the wall, posing tip-over and entrapment hazards that can result in death or serious injuries to children. The chests do not comply with the performance requirements of the voluntary industry standard ASTM F2057-19.

The cable in the quick release system of the plate carrier can separate from the handle preventing swift removal of the carrier in an emergency situation, posing an injury hazard.   

The powerbank's lithium-ion battery can overheat and ignite, posing fire and burn hazards.

The glass stem of the knobs can break during use, posing a laceration hazard.  

 

Tests conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) determined that a bottle of the room spray contained the rare and dangerous bacteria Burkholderia pseudomallei which causes melioidosis, a condition that is difficult to diagnose and can be fatal. CDC has been investigating a cluster of four confirmed cases of melioidosis including two deaths in the U.S. Though the source of these four infections has not been confirmed by CDC, the bottle with the same type of bacteria was found in the home of one of the melioidosis decedents.

The retaining “R” clips on the front brake caliper pin can fall out, causing the front brakes to fail, posing a crash hazard to the rider.

The projector's fan can malfunction and overheat, posing a fire hazard.

The bicycle's fork steerer tube can crack or break after harsh impact such as hitting a deep pothole or other stress event, posing fall and injury hazards to riders.

The stroller's front wheel bearing can fail or detach, posing a fall and injury hazard.

 

The bicycle frame can break while riding, posing fall and injury hazards to the user.

The stools can break during use, posing fall and injury hazards.

The youth ATVs fail to comply with the requirements of the federal mandatory ATV safety standard, including maximum speed limitations and other mandatory safety requirements for vehicles intended for children under 10 years of age. ATVs that fail to meet the mandatory safety requirements pose a risk of serious injury or death to children.

The Venom Motorsports youth model ATVs do not meet mandatory safety requirements, including speed restrictions, posing a risk of serious injury or death.  The ATVs also were imported and distributed in the U.S. without a Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)-approved ATV Action Plan, which includes safety requirements designed to protect users.

The chair can break or collapse when weight is applied, posing a fall hazard.  

 

The glass portion of the cruets can break during use, posing a laceration hazard.

The throttle speed control stop can break and become stuck, posing a crash hazard. 

 

Infants can suffocate if they roll, move, or are placed on the lounger in a position that obstructs breathing, or roll off the lounger onto an external surface, such as an adult pillow or soft bedding that obstructs breathing. 

The bottom purge valve on the recalled snorkels can leak, allowing unexpected water entry, posing a drowning hazard.

The parking brake catch bracket can wear out and cause the parking brake to fail, posing a crash hazard. 

The fitting at the back of the heater can fail to be sufficiently tight, causing the heater to leak propane gas, posing a fire hazard.

The hose can swell during use causing gas to leak, posing a fire hazard.

The shower bench can collapse during use, posing a fall hazard to the user.

The bicycles have handbrakes but no footbrakes. Federal regulations require the bicycles be equipped with both handbrakes and footbrakes. Sidewalk bicycles with handbrakes, but no footbrakes, may present a risk of injury to young children who might not be able to stop the bicycles using handbrakes only.

The brown trim of the shaving kit bags contains levels of a regulated phthalate that exceed the prohibition of specific phthalates. Banned phthalates are toxic if ingested by young children and can cause adverse health issues.

The skewer, which connects the Coho XC Cargo Trailer to the bicycle, can shear or bend. This can cause instability of the trailer and the towing bicycle and pose a fall hazard for the bicycle rider.

The storage tray with cup holders and step can come loose from the tower, posing a fall hazard to the child.

The gasket on the bottom of the dog bowls can come off, leaving an unfinished edge, posing a risk of laceration.

The bicycle helmets do not comply with the U.S. CPSC federal safety standard for bicycle helmets, posing a risk of head injury.

The handle of the Cutie Spoovel utensil can break off releasing small parts, posing a choking hazard for young children. 

The lithium-ion GLW battery packs in the self-balancing scooters/hoverboards can overheat, posing a risk of the products smoking, catching fire and/or exploding.  

The octopus and elephant puzzle pieces can break, posing a choking hazard to young children.  

The bath seats fail to meet the federal safety standard for infant bath seats, including requirements for stability and leg openings, and can tip over while in use, posing a drowning hazard to babies.

Rear wheel spacer bolts that were torqued improperly during manufacturing can cause the wheel to fall off during use. This can result in the tractor overturning, posing an injury hazard to the operator.  

The sock's pom pom can detach, posing a choking hazard to young children.

The counter stools can break or collapse, posing fall and injury hazards.  

The purple Scent Stamper Pen has elevated levels of benzyl alcohol, posing a risk of skin irritation.  

If the white nock is not fully engaged with the bowstring, the crossbow can fail to discharge when the trigger is pulled and can result in the bow discharging while re-nocking the arrow, posing an injury hazard to users.

The finished wooden ring can break into small parts, posing a choking hazard

The capacitor in the recalled VP-33 blower fans can overheat, posing a fire hazard.  


© 2021 Scriba Volunteer Fire Company Inc.